Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I just went on a walk with my dog and while she was sniffing

Customer Question

I just went on a walk with my dog and while she was sniffing a gate a dog on the other side bit her nose and punctured it. I washed it (? well, I don't ) know but I dodn't know what else to do. She is kind of shocked. Also what should I do about that dog, had it beed a child's hand she/he wold have cut it off.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry you and your Setter had such a horrible experience on your walk!

I would advise a veterinary exam and antibiotics since the mouth is full of bacteria we want to ensure this other dog's bite does not result in an infection

In addition, I would call your local animal control agency because we need to make sure this other dog has been vaccinated and is current on rabies for your dog's sake but they can also do a wellness check to ensure this dog is not a danger to the neighborhood

But first and foremost she should be evaluated by your veterinarian and placed on oral antibiotics, I would not wait for infection to form in this situation but begin preventative care with antibiotics and possibly anti inflammatory medications as well

I am in and out of appointments this morning but will do my best to assist you with any additional questions you might have...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman