Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My small dog has been chewing on s feet lately to the point

Customer Question

My small dog has been chewing on his feet lately to the point where they are turning pink. He does not seem to have any discomfort or trouble walking. should I be concerned?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

Are ulcers, sores, pus, pimples, or pustules on the feet?

Any new diets in the past 4-6 weeks?

Any access to potential skin irritants (ie laundry soap, carpet powder, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has been a couple of weeks.Nothing strange on his feet and no new diets.I do not believe he has been exposed to any skin irratants
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

The reason for my range of questions is because excessive feet chewing without skin changes are highly suspicious of allergies. These can be related to something he has had direct contact with (ie walked on) or it can be related to a dietary allergen. Now if he hasn't had anything new added to his diet (by you or the company that makes his food) nor any changes in household products, then we'd be most concerned about a possible pollen or grass allergy. These are very common and some dogs will be affected seasonally by this.

In regards ***** ***** this situation, there are a few things you can try at home. First, we would want to rinse his feet with cool water when he comes back from walks. This will just help remove any pollens or irritants he may have been in contact with. As well, you could also use emollient shampoo (ie Episoothe, oatmeal based ones) as needed. And if this has been going on a few weeks and is becoming a habit, we may need to keep those feet out of reach (either by making him wear socks or an e-collar).

Otherwise, we can trial him on an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl).A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Overall, Cooper's signs are suspicious of an allergic dermatitis of the feet. We do, of course, want to have a good look at his feet and between his toes (since this is harvest mite season --and they look like orange specks when present), but we can use the above to try to reduce his irritation. If his signs do not settle with the above, then we'd want a check by his vet to confirm our suspicions and for them to start him on a course of a stronger anti-inflammatories (ie steroids) to nip this in the bud before he causes himself sores or secondary infection.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate toask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Wayne,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Cooper. How is everything going?
nekovet