Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My weimaraner is one and has had two bouts of menijitus

Customer Question

My weimaraner is one and has had two bouts of menijitus sorry cant spell and now has lost function iin his back legs any options .
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What treatments were used to treat his meningitis?

What tests has he had done (ie blood culture, spinal tap, brain scan, etc)?

How long has he been paralyzed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Steroids antibiotics blood tests lumbar puncture 24 hours
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

What were the results of the lumbar puncture?

Is he under the care of a neurologist?

Has he had an MRI?

Have they ruled out any disc/spine based issues?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

My apologies,but I cannot offer the live phone call option at this time. Therefore, please let me know if you want to discuss your wee one further via the Q+A feature as we have or if you wish for me to opt out to see if a fellow colleague can offer this service to you.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is your suggestions re my dogs situation
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Now without further information from yourself about the test results from the lumbar puncture, this limits my ability to assess what type of meningitis we have. This is quite important as we can see bacterial, viral, protozoa (Toxoplasma, Neospora), and steroid responsive forms of this condition. Furthermore, if the treatments that have been used have failed, knowing which is present +/- culturing that spinal fluid to ID any bacteria present is even more important for treating him.

That aside, I have to say that if he has lost motor and sensory function to his back legs, then time is ticking here. And if you have not already updated his vet on this (your history is not clear on this), then they need to know ASAP. This is because the longer he has no use, the less likely he will be to regain it. Usually in these cases, it is related to the condition directly, related to spinal issues (hopefully those have been ruled out already), or is due to the condition causing inflammation or swelling of the brain. In regards ***** ***** the ones you have noted are appropriate but if he has swelling of the brain then he may need to be treated for that as well. And to do so, we tend to need them hospitalized. So, he needs to be admitted if he has not been already.

Overall, based on what limited information you were able to provide, we are in an urgent situation for your lad. If he has lost use of his hind legs, he needs more aggressive treatment to reduce brain inflammation, swelling, as well as treatment for the primary cause. The sooner this is done, the better chance we have of regaining function. Though at the moment, we do have to be wary that his prognosis is quite guarded.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is hospitalised and was was before he lost function I feel he is beyond savour . Thanks but very sad
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry to hear that is the case. I share your concern here as this is a very negative progression of his condition.

As I noted, it does depend on what is causing the meningitis and how effective the treatments are against that. But if he is worsening, then we'd need to now also tackle any brain swelling but again need to even more so get a definitive diagnosis/handle on the primary problem if we are going to have any chance.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will call in a few favours and demand a miracle thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

My thoughts are with Watson & you.

Dr. B.