Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our 9 month old puppy just fell off the bed and hurt s leg,

Customer Question

Our 9 month old puppy just fell off the bed and hurt his leg, he is a Japanese chin and weights about 8 pounds. He whimpered for about a minute after it happened. He can't stand on it and is holding it up. You can tell he is in pain. What should we do, take him to the vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
An email is ok instead of a phone call of you think it's nothing major
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Was it a front or back leg?

Can he put it down at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Back leg and he can barely put it down
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His name is Louie
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was neutered at only 3 months old so we are concerned about that too
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

The neutering isn't a major worry, this is being done earlier these days and small breed dogs tend to sexually mature quicker then large breeds. So, if he had been a great dane, we'd have not been keen on neutering at that age, but for a chin that should cause any future issues.

Now just so I am clear, can he put it down even for a moment?

Does he seem sore if you flex/extend the joints and hip?

Any swellings, boney crunching, or instability when you feel the leg?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This morning, he is walking barely with his leg but you can tell he is still in pain. His leg is down but he is still limping. I can't feel any swellings, or crunching. But he is sore if you extend the joint. We have never heard him wimper like he did last night after he fell off the bed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

If he is still that lame this morning and sore when you extend this joint, then I would suggest having him checked by his vet urgently. It is not an emergency, but we don't want him to still be this sore. Especially as Louie is a smaller lad and we cannot rule out hairline fractures here. So, in this case, I do think we'd be best to err on the side of caution and have him seen. If you do so, his vet can rule that concern our for us and dispense a dog safe anti-inflammatory (ie Metacam Onsior, Rimadyl, etc). This would be ideal as it would reduce soreness from bruising and inflammation from any strains. And that will get him feel better and walking better quicker.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet