Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog (13 yrs old) has throat cancer. I am not going to do

Customer Question

My dog (13 yrs old) has throat cancer. I am not going to do chemo or radiation. Vet put him on feldane (can't remember the generic name). I switched to home cooked chicken (no spices) and scrambled eggs because wanted low carb, and Ziggy seems to find hard food less interesting now. Question: Is there a good supplement that would give him minerals and vitamins missing from the chicken and eggs? Adding a bunch of veggies to the cooked food is doable, but harder. BTW, I cook chicken in croc pot (no spices) until very soft. is that okay?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, the crock pot cooking is fine. We just want to avoid cooking methods that add oil or other ingredients to the chicken. So, no worries there. Though I would just note that one spice in particular has been thought to be beneficial against cancer. This is Turmeric and you could consider adding it to Ziggy's diet if you wished to.

The reported dose is ~1/8 to ¼ of a teaspoon pet 10 pounds of body weight. Otherwise, the veggies are ideal but I do just want to note that you will want to avoid garlic, onion, grapes or raisins (as all are dog toxic).

That aside and in regards ***** ***** question, there are a number of good quality over the counter vitamins that you can use for Ziggy to avoid imbalances from his current diet. The ones I tend to use in my patients are Pet Naturals Daily Best, ***** ***** or Vet's Best. All can be ordered in my your vet but are also carried at most pet stores or online (even Amazon). So, those would be some good options to keep him from any deficiencies on his home cooked diet.

All the best,

Dr. B.