Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has a swollen leg right at the first bend just above

Customer Question

My dog has a swollen leg right at the first bend just above his paw, he hasn't been crying about it but today a strange semi bloody puss mixture came out of a small hole right around the swollen area!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Based on what you have reported seeing, I am concerned that Jesse James has an abscess here. It may be just involving the tissues over the joint, but at this location we have the additional concern of joint involvement. Furthermore, with the draining track you have described, I would be suspicious that the trigger for what you are seeing is a foreign body (ie foxtail, grass seed, etc). Therefore, with this all in mind and since there is the risk of possible joint involvement, we'd need to consider having him to his vet once they are open. They can start systemic/oral antibiotics +/- dog safe anti-inflammatories. If their exam raises suspicion that the joint is contaminated, then they can xray to check the extent of harm, potentially culture the bacterial discharge (to ID what is present and what it is vulnerable to), and flush the joint. As well, if there is a suspect foreign body, then you can have them remove it since otherwise it will keep triggering immune reactions and infection.

Overall, this would be our suspicion based on what you have described and what we'd need to do to address this and settle it for Jesse James.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )