Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My 18 year old bichoen frise who is on home hospice. She can

Customer Question

my 18 year old bichoen frise who is on home hospice. She can no longer see or hear and we have her on phenobarbital 15 mg tablets 2 times a day to avoid cesures. I was going to call a vet to put her to sleep at home but my son over heard and thinks I would be a murderer. I think the best way around would be to possiblly give her multiple phenobarbital pills so she an go to sleep. That way my son won't have to know I gave them to her. How many 15 mg tablets would end her live and would it be a painless way.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please if you are not able to get back to me within another 30 minutes please send me a refund I will find another source. thank you, jeanne
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Good morning - I'm Dr. Sara. I know that you may not need my info anymore, but I don't want to leave you hanging if you're still awaiting a response. You don't have to give my answer a rating, because I know that there was a delay longer than you expected. I just woke up and started working here for the morning.

I'm so sorry that you're at the end of your journey with Misty - I know that it is so difficult to make that final decision - I have been there multiple times and counseled countless owners in this decision as well. Unfortunately there are no oral medications that can be given at home that would be predictable enough to insure a humane end without suffering. The best way to end a pet's life in the most humane way possible is by injection. Oral medications have variable absorption and can take far longer to anesthetize or end a pet's life, leaving them in a state of uncomfortable limbo for too long before they pass. To me, there's no difference ethically between giving an oral overdose and giving a euthanasia injection in terms of whether or not we ended a pet's life - they are both essentially doing the same thing, but the oral medications have the potential to be inhumane.

Please let me know if you should have any other questions for us, and please accept our condolences.

~Dr. Sara