Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Have 10 yr old cocker spaniel,tore right acl three weeks

Customer Question

have 10 yr old cocker spaniel,tore right acl three weeks ago, tore the second acl today while favoring the injured one,all to the rear. What to da? Dog cant walk to go urinate etc, and is important member of the family/
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before.Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Did his vet confirm a tear or a full rupture of the ACL?

What treatment is he currently on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Complicated,not sure if full rupture or tear,vet was out sick yesterday when incident happened, complicated,Shasta has high liver signals from gall bladder having to do wirh Thyroid and is on medications for it.She was doing very well on diet, Dropped from 46lbs July 15 to 40.6 September 23 and jumped off the bed yesterday,landed trying to favor the already injured right side, now left is injured. Keep hearing Vet refer to some "clicking" taking place, and I can feel and hear clicking in the new injury. Vet assistant advised one full size Tramidol every 4-6 hours, and we did that. She is comfortable except cannot walk or stand to produce fecal or urine. 15 min ago I held up rear end and got her to relieve only 1" of fecal matter, she did urinate yesterday right after the injury when I took her out side and suspended her , but very little and wanted to lay down. she is in GREAT SPIRITS, as apparently this does not hurt her while she is laying down in the right position.Our vet is fantastic but maybe out sick today again, if so, we go to local 24 hour well known animal hospital. Problem is, shes just a number to them, our vet knows her as family. Both I and my wife are disabled and its very difficult to carry the dog, all though, I will die before quitting, this is my best friend world wide. Thanks For Your Help
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

You are right that her liver does make things complicated.This is because as I am sure you can appreciate, management of ACL issues is either via using medical management (rest and pain relief) or surgery. Obviously anesthesia for any surgery and even the drugs we use to manage her discomfort are limited by this.

Now if she has clicking, that sounds like we have an unstable joint (which will be what hurts so much she doesn't want to use the leg) and I would be concerned that at least the first knee has tear severe enough that surgery would be ideal if possible. Of course, with all the workload she has had to put on the other leg, the fall is a real set back. We cannot say for sure in her case, but there is a risk of this ACL now being torn or even ruptured.

With all this in mind, we are really in a less then ideal situation for her. I am glad to hear that her spirits are high despite these legs getting her down. In this case, we want to continue that Tramadol for her. Hopefully she is on it now, otherwise we'd want the local vet's practice or the other practice to dispense more so that she can at least be comfortable here. And just as long term options, you could also try her with glucosamine, chondroitin, duralactin and omega 3+6 fish oils to reduce inflammation and support joint health.

Otherwise, just to make things easier with getting her outside, I would note that you can try sling walking her. To do this, you can use a towel or bed sheet and just sling it under her belly right in front of her hind legs. You can even make one out of a re-usuable grocery bag (HERE @ http://www.mspca.org/vet-services/angell-boston/surgery/how-to-make-a-supportive-dog.html) or there are ones specially made for dogs that you can order. This should help you support her back end and hopefully will make things a bit easier for you both.

Finally, while surgery is the ideal choice when possible, I would note that she may benefit from a brace. There are a few on the market (example @ http://orthodog.com/index.cfm/products/cruciate-care-knee-brace/) that essentially act to support the knee from the outside since the ACL isn't failing to do so from the inside. They do tend to need to be made to order and can be a wee bit costly; but given that she has conditions that would prevent us from using surgery here, this could be a good option for her.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )