Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

The last 5 days she has been vomiting mucus/foam after

Customer Question

the last 5 days she has been vomiting mucus/foam after drinking water, it smells. Shes been eating fine. We stopped letter chew raw hide sticks 4 days ago jic.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Rummy. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. These symptoms are definitely very concerning with Rummy, and the fact they have been ongoing for the past 5 days is a real concern here. As you can probably appreciate, there are a number of possible causes for Rummy's ongoing vomiting including anything from an infectious gastroenteritis, to intestinal parasites, to a toxicity or even an intestinal foreign body causing a partial or complete obstruction, just to name a few potential causes. Given the history of Rummy receiving raw hide sticks and chews, we definitely have to consider an obstruction given her history.

As it has been 5 days now, Rummy really does need to have a full check up and some diagnostics with your local vet. A full physical exam, abdominal xrays/ultrasound and a blood test will likely lead to a diagnosis as to the cause of your girl's vomiting. If this is due to a foreign body obstruction, then your girl may need surgery or endoscopy to have this foreign material removed. Hopefully this is just a bit of a GI bug and she can clear up with some stomach protectants and possibly antibiotics.

For now, you need to continue to encourage your girl to drink. If she can't keep water down, then she is likely very dehydrated. If this is the case, then you need to get your girl seen tonight by your local vet or ER vet. Here they can start your girl on some IV fluids to rehydrate her as soon as possible. To encourage her to drink, you could make up a fresh chicken broth for her (boil up some chicken, scoop off the solids once cooked, then feed her the luke-warm broth).

Tonight, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

For now, you may also want to try her with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx

I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Rummy. How is everything going?
Pet Doc