Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

Well, my dog has an allergy to something...maybe food...but

Customer Question

well, my dog has an allergy to something...maybe food...but maybe not...she is showing signs of allergy with swollen lips and snout...
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am sorry to hear about Grace and her reaction tonight. I am happy to help you. With the swelling of her lips and snout it does sound like an allergic reaction. Steroids do help with allergies but you can often get away with just using benadryl. The dose is 1 mg per pound by mouth every 8 hours. I would get her a dose tonight and see how much this helps her. It would be better for her to be on benadryl than steroids long term. Usually a reaction like this is not food but something else such as an allergy to something she came in contact with. If you are using plastic bowls switch to glass or stainless steel just in case. Also monitor that she isn't digging in stuff in the yard. but the benadryl should help her quite a bit with a reaction like this. Of course if she gets worse have her seen by your vet.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Hi Teri,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Grace. How is everything going?
Dr. Whitehead