Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My Doberman has had anal glad leakage on and off couple

Customer Question

My Doberman has had anal glad leakage on and off for a couple weeks and I had him at the Vet to be drained and looked at. Well today I noticed it he had a little bit of blood on his back end. What could this be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

The finding of blood in association with a history of anal gland leakage suggests infection in the anal sac gland(s) that has ulcerated the lining of the sac to the point of hemorrhaging. This is addressed by thoroughly flushing the glands with an antimicrobial solution such as chlorhexidine and then packing the glands with an antibiotic-containing ointment. Most dogs will tolerate this procedure unsedated. I use a curved tip syringe to enter the duct of the anal sac gland. One treatment may suffice; I occasional need to repeat the procedure a week later. A systemic antibiotic may hasten resolution of the infection.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.