Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a black lab approximately 10 years old. In the past

Customer Question

I have a black lab approximately 10 years old. In the past four days she has gone from have troubles with her hind legs often stumbling and losing balance. Today she is unable to stand and has appeared to lose muscles her legs are also stiff.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She doesn't seem to have any pain
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You appear to be described a myelopathy (spinal cord disorder) in Shadow. The most common of these disorders are degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk") and fibrocartilagenous embolism (FCE) - an interruption of the blood supply to his spinal cord. FCE is more likely to be nonpainful than is a disk. It's important that these patients be attended to by their vet at your earliest convenience. In the case of a slipped disk, spinal cord compression by the disk results in the ataxia ("drunken sailor") you initially saw and now her paresis (weakness)/paralysis. Decompressing the spinal cord with a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) and prescribing a skeletal muscle relaxer +/- narcotic analgesic is the usual conservative manner in which we address a suspected disk. FCE doesn't respond to such therapy but might respond simply to the tincture of time.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Shadow. How is everything going?