Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dachshund has been vomiting on and off last 12-14 hrs and

Customer Question

My dachshund has been vomiting on and off for the last 12-14 hrs and appears not to feel well. She is drinking and peeing. She did have one small BM about 4 hrs ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Is she drinking more than usual?

4- Was the BM normal?

5- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We think she ate some toilet paper. The BM appeared small but normal. She did have a bowl obstruction about 6 months ago. I feel she is drinking about the same.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am going to take her in to at least get an xray.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. If she did eat toilet paper I would be concern about an obstruction. Having her checked by family veterinarian for an xray with barium (contrast material) is an excellent idea. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 0.1-0.2mg per pound body weight every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kristen,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter