Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My pom is losing s hair

Customer Question

my pom is losing his hair
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Can you upload a photo of Boo to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Alopecia X is my first concern in Poms. In this skin disorder we see gradual loss of primary hairs progressing to complete alopecia of the neck, tail, caudodorsum (top and back of the body), perineum, and caudal thighs. Alopecia eventually becomes generalized over the trunk but the head an front limbs are spared. Hair loss is bilaterally symmetrical and the alopecic skin may become hyperpigmented and thin. Mild secondary seborrhea (disorder of skin keratinization and maturation) and superficial pyoderma (bacterial skin infection) may occur. No systemic signs of illness are noted.