Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Dr., My vet said the protein in my dog's liver is a little

Customer Question

Hi, Dr. Susan,
My vet said the protein in my dog's liver is a little high: Alt/SGPT = 133.00. Can you tell me what to feed him so that it stays more normal? I'm new in town and don't have my old vet any longer.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I believe that there was a miscommunication. An ALT of 133 IU/L is only slightly elevated on most machines and not considered significant. Ordinarily the ALT needs to be elevated 2-3X before it's a significant finding. It also needs to be evaluated in light of other test results and the clinical picture of my patient. There is no medical condition involving the amount of protein in a dog's liver* and so there's no need to alter Jack's diet at this time.

Can you upload a copy of all of his test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but his vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see such an icon) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com.

*(I suspect that dietary protein restriction was recommended. This might be of value if liver failure existed but shouldn't be considered if the only abnormality is a slightly elevated ALT.)