Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 23 years. Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

Why would a 6 year old YorkiePoo nuteried since 5 mos

Customer Question

why would a 6 year old YorkiePoo nuteried since 5 mos suddenly become soo inrerested in spayed Females he has been with all his life?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for trusting us to help you today. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years. I would be happy to help.

The most common cause for what you are seeing is blood in the urine of the female even if you can not see it. A male dog can not distinguished between the smell of a female in heat and one that has some blood present due to infection, urinary crystals or bladder stones.

Neutering does not completely remove all interest in a female that they think may be in heat.

In rare cases things like diabetes in the female can cause this behavior as well as it gives the urine a sweet smell.

All of that said it could be a behavioral or hormonal imbalance in the make himself but the first step when we see this is to always recommend having the urine tested on the female. Only once we can rule that out can we then consider this a behavior issues with him.

I would give your vet a call and either schedule and appointment or ask if you can bring the urine in to be tested.

I hope this helps, please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating so that I am compensated by justanswer for assisting you today.

Candy