Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I took my maltese to the groomer today and now he appears to

Customer Question

I took my maltese to the groomer today and now he appears to be developing a ear infection. Shaking head, ear red and a small amount of yellow puss. Last time this happened it was a yeast infection in his ear.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

I am very sorry to hear that your lad is so uncomfortable. Now if he has pus, you need to be aware that he is going to need antibiotics from your vet. Depending on the state of his ear drum, they may be able to use an ear based treatment but if there is any compromise then an oral/systemic one would be necessary. That said, in the meantime to give some relief, you can gently flush the affected ear with luke warm sterile saline (ie OTC first aid eye wash, plain contact lens solution, or you can make it via 1tbsp salt to a pint warm water). This can be used with a cotton ball (no q-tips) to cleanse the ear, remove as much pus/infection as possible, and give some relief to him.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet