Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

It appears that there is blood under my dogs toenails. what

Customer Question

it appears that there is blood under my dogs toenails. what would cause that?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I think I may be able to help Lilman.

First, do the nails appear normal? Hard? Growing straight out from the nailbed? If the nails are straight and hard, go to the next question. If the nails are brittle, cracked or pulling off the nailbeds, this is a serious problem. I would be concerned with an immune system problem that would be diagnosed with a biopsy at your regular veterinarian.

Second, what does the blood look like? Is it reddish brown to dark brown crusts on the outside of the nail, usually closer to the nailbed? If that is what it looks like, then this is yeast growth on the nails and is usually nothing to worry about. If Lilman is licking his paws excessively or is itchy other places, this can be from allergies and you may want to take him to your regular veterinarian to discuss food allergies vs environmental allergies. Does the blood appear to be on the inside of his nail, like a pink base of the nail? If that is the case, then you are seeing the normal quick or nailbed under the nail.

Best regards, ***** ***** this answer helps you. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Hi, How is Lilman this evening? Were you able to figure out what was going on with his nails? Do you have any more questions for me?

Also, if you would consider rating our conversation, I would greatly appreciate it.

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda