Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

I had my lab mix girl into see a vet a week ago as she

Customer Question

I had my lab mix girl into see a vet a week ago as she wasn't her self. I noticed a lump on the left side of her neck the week before but just thought it was an injury from when she had been roughing around with the neighbor dog 3 weeks prior. I didn't see anything happen with the 2 dogs but found my girl in the backseat of the pick up and she appeared disoriented. the vet said she aspirated fluid from the lump and looked at it under a microscope and said it looked as though the cells were dividing rapidly. she thought they were probably cancer cells. she took and x ray and she said the cancer appeared to have spread to the lungs. she said she would have to do a biopsy of the lump to be sure it was indeed cancer cells. could this possibly be something else that could make her lungs appear as cancer or could it maybe just be fluid on the lungs and how would the lungs be treated if it is just fluid
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am very sorry to hear that Shadie is sick. When we describe cancer in the lungs of dogs, it usually has a very distinctive appearance of "cannon balls" in the lungs. There is nothing else that appears that way in the lungs and I would suspect that if your regular vet was able to diagnose cancer, she is probably correct. If you want confirmation on the diagnosis, you can ask your vet to send the x-rays to a board certified radiologist for interpretation.

I would also recommend having your regular vet biopsy the mass so that you can determine its exact identity and what treatments could be effective against it.

I am so sorry to hear that Shadie is sick. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.
Hi Deb,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Shadie. How is everything going?
Amanda Mouradian-Dar