Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I would like to know the answer to this question After the

Customer Question

I would like to know the answer to this question
After the signs of bleeding have started in the month and nose in a dog when bitten by a brown snake and a anti venom has been given, is there anyway the bleeding is able to be repaired and stopped with other dose of anti venom.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Yes, in fact that's the best manner in which to manage a coagulopathy after a snake in the Elapid family such as the brown snake has envenomated a dog. In humans 5 ampules will effectively treat 2/3 of patients with severe envenomation; 10 ampules will effectively treat 89% of these patients. A transfusion should be considered if there's clinically significant anemia secondary to hemorrhage or hemolysis. If the coagulopathy remains refractory despite additional antivenom and a blood transfusion and ongoing bleeding exists, fresh frozen plasma should be considered.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.