Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

Dog Pickles is a Chihuahua/Pomeranian mix she has been

Customer Question

Hi my name is***** dog Pickles is a Chihuahua/Pomeranian mix she has been throwing up since yesterday. Last night her stool seemed ok, but I don't know how it is today. She went through the night, but as soon as she was up in the morning for awhile she vomited again. I don't think she has gotten into anything. I have a fenced back yard so she can't get out. What should I do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

There are many reasons for a dog to vomit. For now, as long as she is not lethargic, I would try this... I would give 1/2 tablet of Prilosec 20mg (or 1/4 tablet of 10mg Pepcid A/C) every 24 hours. Withhold food and water for 6 hours after the last time she vomited. If she has not vomited for 6 hours, then you can offer a small amount (tablespoon) of a bland diet of boiled chicken breast and white rice mixed together. If she holds that down, you may feed that diet in 4-5 small meals spread out through the day for the next 2 days. If all goes well, switch back to her usual diet on the 3rd day. If she continues to vomit, you may need to see your veterinarian for blood work or x-rays.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.