How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr B Your Own Question
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 1113
Experience:  DVM
27344366
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr B is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

12 wk old French Bulldog pup (runt of litter) NO other pups

Customer Question

12 wk old French Bulldog pup (runt of litter) NO other pups in litter are sick
Mild URI symptoms for 3 wks, watery nose, mild cough
1st round Clavamox (7 days) seemed to get rid of it
2nd round Doxy (7 days) then had enlarged right lymphnode, spiking fever
changed antibiotics again.
First thought puppy strangles....then bloodwork shows slightly anemic, WBC elevated with neutrophils
Pup is eating, drinking but very tired, still has fever.....waiting on more bloodwork
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you. Your puppy needs much more than bloodwork. He needs to have chest rads done as soon as possible. Your puppy may have pneumonia and this can be deadly to a puppy. It is also possible that your vet may need to give some very strong antibiotics not normally given to puppies. I see no reason why your vet could not reinstitute clavamox and treat for a longer course. Your puppy could take Doxycycline at the same time. But please ask your vet to do chest rads as soon as possible. This needs to be treated very aggressively asap. He also needs to be tested for canine flu. Please let me know if I can answer any other questions or help you in any way. I check my computer each night and will get back to you. Most Sincerely, DRB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her chest rads were good - no pneumonia !
Keeping on Clavamox..... No fever today but on hycidan for cough... Thank you!!
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

I am delighted to hear this. I would strongly recommend keeping your puppy on clavamox for 1 month if your vet will do it. There is absolutely no down side. And to keep her gut healthy right before bed give her a tablespoon of vanilla kefir. You can buy this at grocery store in yogurt section. Most nicer grocery stores will have this. That will keep her gut in good shape while she is being treated. I hope this helps you and please let me know if you need further help. If you leave your questions here I will get back to you by tomorrow night. If you have no other questions I would greatly appreciate it if you would accept my answer. Most Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Please hit rate this question as that is the only way I am compensated. THank you very much, DRB