Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog just ate two regular servings of cake (one carrot

Customer Question

My dog just ate two regular servings of cake (one carrot cake, the other tres leches.. and not that it matters but both from whole foods). He hasnt vomited yet, he ate them over an hour ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- Can you list the ingredients in the cake?

2- How much does he weigh?

3- Is he showing any symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1.
2 Oz of Tres Leches
Ingredients: condensed milk, evaporated milk, cream cane sugar, wheat flour, dried whole eggs, leavening, nonfat dry milk, coconut oil, glucose, starch, gelatin, soybean oil, salt, natural flavor, beta carotene.2 Oz of Carrot Cake with icing
Ingredients: carrot mix, wheat four, turbinate sugar, unmodified food startch, carrots, baking soda, spices, salt, algin gum, cage free eggs, canola oil, water, baking powder;
Creamcheese icing ingredients: cream cheese, milk, cream, cheese cultures, stabilizers, sugar cornstarch, butter, vanilla, walnuts, buttercream, palm shortening, vanilla extract2. He weighs 39 lbs3. No symptoms
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, the ingredients listed are not going to be toxic for your dog. But, because of the milk and high sugar content he may develop vomiting, diarrhea and less likely pancreatitis. I would recommend you observe him for the next 24 hours. If he develops vomiting or diarrhea this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Hi Melanie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Shotta. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter