Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a 14 yr old dog that has been having a? fungal

Customer Question

I have a 14 yr old dog that has been having a ? fungal infection on his side. This morning he had two seizures. Is there a correlation between what might be skin cancer and mets from or to the brain?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

How was the fungal skin infection diagnosed? Was a culture or biopsy done?

Seizures in older dogs can be from many things: low blood sugar, liver disease, low thyroid, and brain tumors. It is possible that the skin condition could be related ( an infection that went blood borne, traveled to the brain, and is causing meningitis) or that if the skin condition is cancer it could metastasize to places like the brain. If the skin cancer is lymphoma, it could spread to the brain by the lymphatic system.

Have any blood tests been done? That is where I usually start with older dogs that have had seizures. Let me know how he is doing and what else I can help with or answer. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is he doing today?