Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a male 16mth old Dalmatian. He's just been diagnosed

Customer Question

Hi, I have a male 16mth old Dalmatian. He's just been diagnosed with bladder stones and has been prescribed allopurinol and u/d diet. His pH is 9, is the medication and diet right. Also he has been on royal canin hyperallergenic for the last 6 weeks because of excessive gas in his stomache
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, the U/D diet and allopurinol would be considered our treatments of choice for Dalmatian urate cyrstalluria. If there are stones, then these may need to be removed depending on size/number (small ones ma dissolve with treatment). As well, as long as that pH stays above 6.6, we'd not need to add in additional treatments such as potassium citrate. Though increased water intake and hydration is always advisable in these cases, especially if his pH is a but alkaline.

Otherwise, we would want to get him onto the U/D diet only. If he is still having issues with gas, you can try to counter that with probiotics (since gas is often related to imbalance in the normal GI microflora) +/- treat with Simethicone or activated charcoal to bind and reduce that gas for him. But overall your vet's treatment plan for urate crystals is ideal.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )