I own an 8 year old Black Mouth Cur named Buddy. He is 92 lbs and his normal behavior
is a very happy and outgoing friend until about 4-5 hours ago.
He first threw up a large amount of a light brown moderately thick liquid [not watery] with 4 small Milk Bone
Biscuits’ I had giving to him ~1 hour before this event. I am disabled so I asked my 34 son to clean this for me. He told me the vomit has a strong smell like feces.
Within 30 minutes of his first episode he started vomiting a watery light yellow liquid. I have never seen a dog vomit so many times, i.e. 4 very large puddles that looked like he had peed within about 1 hour.
I then attempted to give Buddy some liquid Pepto but he refused this. I then put an antacid tablet is a Pill Pocket but he also refused this. He will not allow me to force anything in his mouth due to his great strength.
After he refused the meds I started 100% watching him. His behavior is nothing like I have observed over those 8 years of his life. That is:
1. Sad and depressed looking but with no whining.
2. Restless, i.e. his will lay down 5 minutes then moved around the bedroom for another 5-10 minutes, etc. I have seen him lay down only a few times for a short period of time.
3. We have a doggy door and he will leave the bedroom and go outside for a usually long time, i.e. at least 10 minutes per trip outside. Please note he always stays very close to me at all times [24/7] but only 2 times tonight. He has gone outside ~6-7 times in the last 4 hours.
4. He does drink a small amount of water every half hour or so which is also not normal for him.
5. He just came in from outside, laid close to me 5 minutes and just moved to the room adjacent to my bedroom. Please note tonight when I say he laid down means with the head up at all times rather than his normal position actually 100% prone.
6. He stayed in the adjacent room only 5-10 minutes and again went outside.
Every time I go downstairs to see what he is doing outside he come back as soon as I arrive at the back door.
Obviously with the odd behavior listed above he is not feeling well.
All vomits episodes have been a watery light yellow liquid except the first. I have noticed no offensive smell of the watery light yellow liquid vomit. Also these vomit events are not a great heaving event.
It has now been at least 1 hour since he last vomited but he remains very restless, often drinking a very small amount of water then wandering off.
As for as his temp, I have no certain way to check this but to compare the relative temp of his ears
to my other 2 dogs. He has short ears much like my 10 year female Lab. Relatively speaking Buddy ears are somewhat warmer than Molly’s ears. Not hot but I can feel a difference.