Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Old English Bulldogge Puppy has bloat. No emergency vet is

Customer Question

Old English Bulldogge Puppy has bloat. No emergency vet is nearby, what can we do? RUSH!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your puppy. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

If this is true bloat, where her stomach is filling with air and gas and she is at risk for the stomach twisting, there is simply no at home treatment. This is a true emergency; dogs with bloat need a stomach tube passed to let out the air, and if the stomach is already twisted you can't pass a tube, and emergency surgery is needed to save the dog's life. If she is trying to vomit but little or nothing comes up, if her stomach behind her ribs is greatly distended, this could be a true case of bloat. Here is a very good article about bloat:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=672

Is it possible she is just has gas, and that this is not true bloat? If you look at her gums, are they pink in color or do they look pale? Any vomiting? Can she eat or drink? it would be unusual for a puppy to have a true case of bloat; I have not seen it in one this young. Hope to hear from you soon. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is your puppy doing?