Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog threw up a catepillar whole not chewed on .it looks

Customer Question

my dog threw up a catepillar whole not chewed on .it looks like a monarch early stage caterpillar .. can she get sick,, its already been 2 hrs and she seems fine. she is 15 months old
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is no milk weed in my yard.. she had been pulling down mexicanbird of paradise branch and maybe this i where catepillar was
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before.Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

First, if she vomited up a whole and unchewed caterpillar, then the risk of that one is low to none. And even if there are some still in her stomach that she has chewed, the only real risk here is that they could cause more GI upset. Therefore, if she is fine, then we'd expect no further issue.

Though if she seems a bit unsteady on her stomach still, then you can try some supportive care for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, we can also treat with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. Ones we can use here include Pepcid (More Info/Dose HERE) or Zantac (More Info/Dose HERE). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. And if we do so for the next 24 hours or so, we'd hope to head off any further upset from her caterpillar ingestion.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. If Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Kristen Kecskemety. How is everything going?
nekovet