Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

Dog vomiting many times, can not even keep water down,, had

Customer Question

dog vomiting many times, can not even keep water down,, had bowel movement in home, and lays down for 5-10mins then moves, over and over.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your Lhasa Poo girl Bijou. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. As you can probably imagine, there are a few things that could be causing Bijou's vomiting this evening, including simple gastroenteritis, to a foreign body obstruction or even a toxicity potentially to name a few possible causes. For now, you are best with holding her food until tomorrow morning. From then, just stick with cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice for 2 - 3 days. You also need to make sure she is drinking plenty of water and if she is hardly drinking anything right now, then you should try making up a chicken broth for her. Just boil up some chicken, scoop off the solids and feed her the warm soup. If her vomiting continues this evening and she really can't keep any water down - then she could quickly become dehydrated.

For now, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

For now, you may also want to try her with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx

Best of luck with Bijou. If your girl won't drink or can't keep water down at all, then (as above) dehydration is one of the main concerns here. I would really recommend a visit to your local vet or ER vet tonight for this reason, if your girl continues to vomit up liquid and water. Here they can carry out a full physical exam and diagnostics if necessary, as well as place an IV catheter, start IV fluids and give medications to line your girl's stomach and help to stop this vomiting. If Bijou has settled now, then please just continue to keep an eye on her, continue to encourage her to drink, and with hold her food until first thing tomorrow morning. I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She hasn't thrown up for over 2 hours, but this is also because I removed her water, since she kept throwing it up. I am a little worried, I can not bring her to an ER vet since I am home alone with my 19 month old twins. Will she be ok if I wait till morning? Also her gums a the regular bright pink.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Great to hear she hasn't vomited for a couple of hours now. This may have been enough time to help settle her stomach. Definitely try her with a little pepcid, and allow her access to water again - you definitely cannot with hold water in any situation.

If she is able to have a drink of water and manages to keep it down, then she should be ok until you can see her regular vet tomorrow morning. If she continues to vomit water when you allow her access to water again, then she really should be seen this evening. This may be quite tricky with 19 month old twins, so perhaps someone could take your girl down for you? It would definitely be better to play it safe and have her seen tonight if she continues to vomit up any water she attempts to drink.

Let me know if I can help any further here.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I thought I would check up quickly to see how your girl Bijou is doing now? Hopefully her symptoms have settled now.

It would be great to get an update when you get a moment.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bijou. How is everything going?
Pet Doc