Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

We just noticed a red ring on our puppy's neck that's about

Customer Question

We just noticed a red ring on our puppy's neck that's about the size of a dime and it is swollen.
Should we give her a bennadryl to help with the swelling? It looks like pictures of ringworm that we've found online.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry Isabel has this lesion.

You can try:
- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours if there is itchiness to the area
- Oatmeal-based dog shampoo to clean the area with ten minute contact time before rinsing and tap dry. Repeat every 12 hours

Please make sure you wash your hands well after cleaning the area

But if you have found it appears to look like ringworm it will require an examination and fungal culture to determine if this is the case and will need a topical anti fungal shampoo or ointment and possibly oral antifungals to resolve it completely.

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today! I am online another 30 minutes tonight...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!