Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have a 9 week old puppy who just started showing diarrhea

Customer Question

I have a 9 week old puppy who just started showing diarrhea symptoms. Should I feed him as normal tomorrow morning or stick to a liquid or rice diet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

How long has the diarrhea been going on? Is there any blood in the stool or has he vomited?

Dr. Dan

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry your new addition has loose stool. As long as there is no blood in the stool nor vomiting I can assist you with basic guidelines but if the diarrhea is not subsiding or is progressing overnight then please take a fresh or refrigerated sample in to your veterinarian for evaluation tomorrow to determine if there is an underlying cause that requires medical intervention

- Feed a bland diet of white rice and boiled chicken in small more frequent intervals tomorrow morning
- Begin pepcid (famotidine) which is an over the counter antacid tomorrow at 0.25 mg/ pound to help settle Archer's stomach
- Please no imodium or product similar which is definitely not safe in such a young puppy
- Add water to the meals to ensure he is not becoming dehydrated
- Again if he does begin to have vomiting, nausea (licking lips, increased salivation), blood in the stool have him seen as soon as possible but if the diarrhea is not subsiding overnight have a fecal evaluation to determine if medications are necessary

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both. Congratulations on your new addition!

I am online another 30 minutes tonight to assist you or clarify anything this evening

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!