Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog has an osteosarcoma, getting 200mg of tramadol (115

Customer Question

my dog has an osteosarcoma, getting 200mg of tramadol (115 Lbs dog) how much can I gave him, still on pain
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry for your dog's diagnosis.

The dose range for tramadol is 1-4 mg/kg so for a 115 pound dog (52 kg), this would be 50-200 mg every 8 hours. As an extralabel dose it can be used as a 4- 10 mg/kg (500 mg) every 8 hours. I would suggest trying to increase by one tablet to a total of 250 mg every 8 hours to see if that helps with his pain until you can speak to your veterinarian. If no change potentially increasing to 300 mg (an additional 50 mg tablet) an hour later if there is no relief but I would increase by 50 mg increments to see if there is a way to breakthrough his pain and get him comfortable (with a maximum of 500 mg in 8 hours but this will likely cause heavy sedation).

I have worked with an oncologist that uses gabapentin (neurontin) and even lyrica for pain management of these types of tumors with success and would definitely discuss this possibility with your veterinarian. He has told me he has good success with this type of medication and can be used in combination with the tramadol.

I hope this information helps, I am so sorry you both are having to endure this horrible diagnosis. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!