Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My dog is a lab mix and he just swallowed a small nibblet

Customer Question

my dog is a lab mix and he just swallowed a small nibblet ear of corn. he has eaten other crazy things and vomited them up.... will he be ok
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

Labs and lab crosses certainly do tend to get into a lot of trouble, don't they, with the things they tend to eat?

1. Can you tell me the approximate size of the corn cob that he ate?

2. How long ago did he eat it?

3. How much does he weigh?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is able to eat and drink following swallowing the about 3 inch ear of corn.... he can bark and acts in no distress at all about 30 minutes ago... 65 lbs
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the additional information.

Corn cobs are notorious for causing obstructions in dogs, even a dog this size. If he hadn't eaten quite as large a piece, then I probably would have advised the "wait and monitor" approach. However, that wouldn't be the most prudent course of action in this case.

Since it's only been 30 minutes since he ate the corn cob, you still have time to induce vomiting if you have 3% hydrogen peroxide. While not all dogs will vomit when this is given, most will.

The dose would be about 1 teaspoon per 10 lbs so I'd give him 3 tablespoons mixed with bread. Then walk him around and repeat the dose in 15 minutes, if necessary.

I wouldn't expect the cob to be in his esophagus which is why he's otherwise acting like his normal self, but it would be best to remove it from his stomach if at all possible so that you won't have to worry about it causing an obstruction in another day or so.

Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok.... so put three TBS on bread q 15min until i induce vomiting
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Only use it twice; if he hasn't vomited after the second dose, he's not likely to.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if he doesn't then what
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Well, then you, unfortunately, only have two options if he doesn't bring it up:

1. Wait to see if it will pass on it's own; if it does, then he'll be fine. But if it doesn't and becomes lodged in his intestines, then you're looking at surgery to remove it. Dogs with corn cob obstructions can be fairly serious since many of them don't show the "classic" signs of a foreign body such as vomiting, lethargy, disinterest in food or abdominal pain. As a result, that cob can do some significant damage to the intestines when it causes an obstruction.

If the corn cob remains in the stomach for a while (which it can do), then this is a waiting game with constant monitoring of his stools for the cob and/or for signs of obstruction. It might take 12-24 hours or could take days.

2. Surgical intervention now to remove it or possibly endoscopy if your vet (or an ER clinic) has this equipment. It's not exactly the critical sort of situation where the cob needs to come out immediately in terms of toxicity, but it would be best to retrieve it while it's in the stomach, rather than once it's in the intestines (especially if an endoscope will be used to remove it).

Unfortuantely, I'm going to have to step away from my computer to help a neighbor who has health issues. I'm sorry for the inconvenience but hope you'll keep me posted about whether or not you were successful in retrieving the corn cob. I should log back on my computer in another hour or so.

Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jake. How are thinks going with him? Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Jake. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb