Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog has had an anal gland eruption. She was prescribed

Customer Question

My dog has had an anal gland eruption. She was prescribed some antibiotics an pain medicine. She is scooting and getting blood on the carpet. I having a hard time getting her to take her pain medicine if I try to hide it her food, she will detect it and eat around it or not eat at all. She looks awful and I don't know how to help her.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

These infections are hard to deal with because there is no way to place a bandage on this area. It is very important that Missy get her antibiotics and since you are having trouble, dissolve this in warm water and use a syringe or turkey baster to give this to Missy in her mouth.

It is important that this area remain open so it can drain the dead tissue so it is best to keep Missy in areas that will not be harmed if she scoots or keep it as clean as possible so there is little discharge. You can attempt to place a bandage on this area to save your carpet.

If this continues, there are ways for your vet to remove this gland completely which will resolve this right away. Take Missy back to your vet for a recheck to be sure that it is healing well and is not being further irritated by the scooting.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much, very good idea on how to give her the medicine, thank you very much for your response, and your instructions are very clear, thank you again

You are very welcome! I know this can be messy but Missy will feel so much better once this is healed.