Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Sage keeps itching till its raw on s back near the tail.

Customer Question

Sage keeps itching till its raw on his back near the tail. What can I do to help him I put itching meds on him then spray apple bitter on him ,he seems to have scabs on him and it itches.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Your question was placed in the correct category and brought to my attention. When I see dogs excoriating their saddle area - the area on their back between the edge of the rib cage and their tail - I diagnose a flea saliva allergy in the great majority of cases. You'll need to ensure that Sage is well-protected from fleas by using topical spot-on products containing fipronil (Frontline, e.g.) or imidacloprid (Advantage, e.g.) or one of the newer prescription products available from Sage's vet and you'll find that a corticosteroid such as prednisone given by injection or orally will be very effective in controlling the pruritis (itchiness) associated with this allergy. The scabs are likely to represent healing of the ulcers Sage has caused by biting at himself but we also see secondary bacterial infections when the skin has been injured and so his vet may prescribe a systemic antibiotic as well as the prednisone. Please note that dogs can be such effective groomers as to remove all evidence of fleas. It's still important to use an effective flea parasiticide. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a pet's pest repeller collar is that alright to use I don't like that other stuff afraid for my dog

What is the active ingredient in that collar, please? Or is it the ultrasonic collar?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the collar is run by batteries no chemical so I guess its ultra sound

Correct. Unfortunately, none of the collars that use ultrasonic sound have been effective in controlled trials. Please continue our conversation if you wish.