Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog just had 2 seizures about a hour apart from each

Customer Question

My dog just had 2 seizures about a hour apart from each other they both lasted about 1-2 minutes. She has Lyme disease an take medication for her thyroid. She hasn't a a seizure in a year and a half and for her to have 2 the same day about a hour apart is really making me upset. Should I be worried? Should I take her to a emergency vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Nyla has had 2 seizures today within an hour span.

While I am glad that they were relatively short in length the fact that she had two in such a short time span is very worrisome.

The rule of thumb is that a change in seizure frequency, especially if more than one occurs in a day, prompts the need to see her veterinarian. The reason for that is the likelihood of status epilepticus (one seizure after another) a dangerous rise in body temperature due to muscle contractions, and possible brain damage, is higher with those scenarios and we wish to avoid that.

If she seems back to herself and relatively normal now you can wait to have her examined by her veterinarian in the morning.

But if she seems mentally different, either less aware or more agitated than usual, uncoordinated or confused she should be seen on an emergency basis tonight. Certainly if she has another seizure tonight she should be taken to an emergency clinic.

While it is very rare Lyme disease can cause neurologic symptoms and seizures, so knowing that she is being treated for Lyme disease means this could be related.

If you choose not to have her seen tonight then do keep her very quiet and try to stay calm. We know that stress or fear/anxiety can precipitate seizures.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Nyla. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara