Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.
58825837

I have a 2 y/o rescue shorkie. she is experiencing what

Customer Question

I have a 2 y/o rescue shorkie. she is experiencing what seems to be a belly ache. ears are drooped she can't stay in one place. has thrown up once a large amount of a yellowish and solid white emesis. she will try to curl into a small ball or wants you to run her stomach or she will lay with her back feet under her and pulled to her chest. I gave her 1cc of pepto bismol . she weighs 4-5 lbs. she had a small bm earlier.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

Does she seem uncomfortable when you squeeze her belly?

How many times has she vomited?

Is she eating and drinking normally?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no belly is a little firm. she has only vomited twice the last time was about 10 minutes,ago and it was yellow bile looking. she was eating and drinking up to this starting for the last two hours
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

I am sorry to hear that she is not feeling well tonight. Based on what you are describing, she does sound like her belly is uncomfortable. Without examining her giving you an exact diagnosis is going to be difficult, though I can tell you some of the most common disorders that could be causing her symptoms:

- Ingesting something out of the ordinary that has caused an upset stomach
- Eating a foreign object that has become stuck in her stomach or her intestines
- Pancreatitis which is an inflammatory disorder of the pancreas which can make dogs quite uncomfortable
- An organ disorder such as kidney or liver disease
- A viral or bacterial infection in her stomach/intestines

If she is drinking water and holding it down then that is a good sign though taking her to a vet is always worth considering for any dog that has discomfort in their abdomen. I can understand that taking her to a vet is not always possible though therefore if you would prefer home care treatments I can give you some suggestions.

If she is not drinking well, I would try to use an oral syringe to give her some pedialyte or even some low sodium chicken broth. You can give her about 5 cc every 30-60 minutes to try to rehydrate her.

You can also give some pepcid AC to help with the stomach discomfort. This is very safe and virtually has no side effects. I would give her 2.5 mg every 24 hours. This medication usually comes in 10 mg per tablet. You can get this medication from a local drug or grocery store over the counter. The pepto bismol should not hurt her, though I would recommend using pepcid AC instead of pepto bismol.

If she is holding down liquids then you can feed her 8 hours after the last vomit. My recommendation would be to feed some boiled ground beef or boiled chicken breasts with cooked rice. Two parts rice to one part meat. Feed this until she is back to normal. This is very easy for her to digest and should help reduce inflammation in the stomach/intestines.

Overall if she cannot hold down liquids at all or her abdomen seems to be getting more uncomfortable then she really should be taken to the vet as she will need fluids to prevent her from getting seriously dehydrated.

Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply. Thank you for your question.