Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My dog ate a half a bag of chocolate swizzle sticks licorice

Customer Question

My dog ate a half a bag of chocolate swizzle sticks licorice is there a problem
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am sorry to hear about Sasha eating the chocolate licorice. I am happy to help you this evening. The good news is that these do not contain chocolate enough/if any to cause toxicity in a dog Sasha's size. So that is the good news. The bad news is that dogs who eat things like this often times will vomit or have diarrhea. This is ok as it is getting the candy out of her system. But if she vomits more than 3 times or has diarrhea more than 24 hours you will want to have her seen. They often times will get over it but sometimes they need a little help. If this is the case of excessive vomiting or diarrhea then have her checked out by your vet to help her feel better. Otherwise just monitor for this.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I will keep an eye on her

You are very welcome. please do not hesitate to ask if you have further questions or concerns. I am happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!