Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

We took my miniature dachshund to the vet on Thursday he did

Customer Question

We took my miniature dachshund to the vet on Thursday he did x-rays and said that he has two ruptured or herniated discs in his back. Since then he gave him a shot of Cortizone and tramadol for pain and steroids to take one every day for the first five days and one every other day after that. He is drinking but he doesn't want to eat so we got him some ENERCAL to give him and he likes that he has eaten a little bit of cheese or something and but not much of anything and he feels very warm to the touch and he's panting and his nose is dry and he seems like he's out of it and I'm really worried about him he won't lay down he just wants to stand up on his front legs in the kennel so I put them in my bed because he's so unhappy in there and he still wants to just sit on this but with his back legs down and his front legs up and he feels very warm I'm really worried about him. Any ideas? It feels like he has a fever and he was panting so I uncovered him.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

I'm sorry Bentley isn't feeling well... Herniated disks are very common in Dachshunds unfortunately and the condition can be very painful, in some cases leading to full paralysis. What you are describing is very suspicious for pain, it seems like he just can't settle and find a comfortable position. The steroids and tramadol can be useful for management of pain but in this case, it doesn't seem to be enough.

I think the best thing to do is to get him to the nearest vet ER and have him evaluated and treated. Bentley would need to be examined to confirm that he is experiencing pain associated with a disc herniation and that no more serious effects have come up (such as decrease in neurologic function and reflexes); then injectable pain medication would likely be needed, as it is acts much more quickly and is typically more effective than oral pain medication. Once pain is controlled, then you may either need to adjust your pain management protocol or have additional testing (such as a CT scan) to determine if there is spinal cord or nerve root compression by a ruptured disc, in which case he may need surgery to decompress the area...

Here is a link to more information: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=3223

I hope this helps; please let me know if you have any other questions!