Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Sprained paw

Customer Question

Sprained paw
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry your dog has injured his or her paw!

Until you are able to get to your veterinarian tomorrow:

- Rotate cool and warm compresses on the area in ten minute intervals
- If he or she will allow doing a light massage of the area to stimulate blood flow which will help healing
- If there is any swelling then I would advise a veterinary er to ensure there is no type of fracture that needs to be addressed sooner rather than later
- I would not advise over the counter pain medications because they can upset the stomach and would delay any effective pain medications your veterinarian will prescribe tomorrow but if you do have any left over medications from a previous surgery prescribed than that should work great with food
- Limit activity until you are able to get to your veterinarian which means no steps/ stairs/ jumping on or off furniture to minimize further injury and allow healing. Leash to go potty so that there is no running around the backyard as well

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was not satisfied with answer. Your answer was generic and did not tell me anything except take her to our vet. I could have saved myself 17 dollars and put towards vet for more In formed answer. I would like to be taken off your monthly service package.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I apologize but if you can give me more information than a "sprained paw" I can assist you further. I am also happy to send the question to customer service or opt out to allow another expert to assist you

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon, I hope your dog is feeling better today. Would you like this question sent to customer service at this time?