Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Ok, my boxer 10 years old, in the last couple of weeks has

Customer Question

Ok, my boxer 10 years old, in the last couple of weeks has refused to eat her dry food but has at id food that we give her. She is also not drinking much water. She just sleeps all the time and seems to have lost her personal side towards us etc. She had bloodwork for a physical less than a month ago and her blood work was good and of course she was good at that time. She will get up to walk with us but looses her energy which I attribute to lack of water. Any idea what this could be We had her to the vet yesterday no fever, blood pressure was good, gums looked good, lymph nodes were fine, Everything checked out for a general examination NO answers, anything we should cousider or be looking for?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- Did your vet do any testing yesterday?

2- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

3- Any other symptoms?

4- Can you take her rectal temperature?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She just did a physical exam, took her blood pressure, took her temp, checked her over examined her, looked at her lymph nodes, checked her eyes, and color of her gums. All was fine.
No to question 2
She took her rectal temp yesterday and it was fine.
She is just disengaged with us not coming to greet us, etc. Yet I ask her if she wanted to go for a walk she got up and went with us but tired easier than usual. All summer long until i went back to school we walked 4 miles every morning. She has had a collapsing of her back hind leg for the last few months. I only see it once in a while on a long walk. I never see it around the house. She has been out laying in the living room all afternoon, not responding much to us ,
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

1- Can you expand on the collapsing of the back legs?

2- Is she currently on any medications?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just it will collapse but she gets right back up , does not really stop her, but I don't see around the house , at all.
No she is not on any medication. She boarded over labor day weekend, and when she came back the eating issues started.
I ask them if they had put anything on her food to make her eat it and they said no.
A lot more disengaged this week. She still acts hungrey and we are feeding her soft diet , etc. She is not eating as much.
Always wanted treats, not doing that at all. When we come in she is upstairs and just pretty much ignores us. they way I got her down last night was offering her a walk.
She did take zanex when she boarded at night. She has anxiety issues, but is not on anything because she did take Chlomodine most of her life, but they quit making it so she has not been on anything for over a year. But I do giver her zanex when she boards or sometimes in the morning when I am going to work if she is anxious. Routines changing going back to work after being off all summer.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vet says, it is a nerve issue, if it gets to much they could give meds
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, lethargy and decrease appetite are very non specific symptoms and can be related to many different medical conditions that affect dogs. The fact that she is showing symptoms of weakness in the back legs during exercise we need to consider arthritis of the hips. Dogs that have arthritis can show the same symptoms you are describing. It is also important to rule out systemic diseases like: Anemia, liver or kidney disease, etc.

I understand she had blood work 1 month ago and it was normal. But, things could have change within that month period. I would strongly recommend having her re-checked by family veterinarian and discuss with your veterinarian repeating the blood work (Chemistry profile and CBC) and urinalysis. If the blood work is normal the next step would to consider xrays of the hips/spine. Treatment will be based on exam and test results.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I talked to 2 vets about the collapse of the leg and both said nerve, did not feel she had arthritis,. What would make her not drink, that is my biggest question, which has not really been answered.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, in order to determine why she is not drinking she will need some testing as described above. Not drinking is a very non specific symptom and can be related to many disorders that affect dogs. Her lack of any other symptoms will make it impossible to determine the exact underlying cause without some testing. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

As far as being a nerve problem, usually neurological disorders tend to be consistent and not intermittent. Disorders like arthritis can have intermittent symptoms depending on the level of activity or inflammation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well is arthritis have anything to do with the lack of drinking water?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Absolutely, if she is not feeling well secondary to inflammation it will definitely affect her appetite or desire to drink. When a dog is not drinking or eating we as veterinarians need to do some searching via an exam to try to find a cause. If a physical examination and history does not provide an answer then we move on to doing some testing as described above. If your vet indeed finds that this is related to something like arthritis then she will be started on medication. Once she is feeling better her appetite and drinking will go back to normal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If she had arthritis inflammation would she be running a temperature.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

No.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bailey. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter