Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog over s few days has lost the ability to stand and

Customer Question

Hi, my dog over s few days has lost the ability to stand and walk. I have been to the vet and they have given him drugs and nothing seems to be working. He seems to be fairly normal from a personality stsndpoint, but physically is a mess. My question, how do I tell if he is in pain? How do I judge quality of life?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you other today!

I am so sorry no one has assisted you and Skeeter today and that he is having such a difficult time

I can give you some great handouts to help with this terrible decision. Often we look at quality of life as whether they are still doing any of their favorite things, whether it be a favorite toy or treat, sitting with you while on the couch, barking at the neighbors to name a few. In addition, do they still have the "light" in their eyes, meaning are they still responsive to their environment and you or are they dull, listless, and fading away?

Quality of life assessment handout: http://www.peacefulpetdepartures.com/quality-of-life-assessment/

Pain assessment handout: http://www.csuanimalcancercenter.org/assets/files/csu_acute_pain_scale_canine.pdf

I know this is a terribly difficult decision to make and I hope this information is helpful. Some areas in the country do have hospice care that can help guide you in this decision making process. There is a list of options below for you to review:

http://csu-cvmbs.colostate.edu/vth/diagnostic-and-support/argus/pet-hospice/Pages/pet-hospice-resources.aspx

Please let me know anything I can do to assist you both in this difficult decision. Any questions or concerns I can assist with to clarify how to make this decision please don't hesitate to ask and please disregard any automated follow up questions by the site

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Skeeter. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman