Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Our shitzu is 10 yrs female. Not eating but drinking

Customer Question

Our shitzu is 10 yrs female. Not eating but drinking sometimes will bring up what looks like yellow bile. What should we do? She was fine till Friday she did have a hernia about 5 years ago that did go into the diaphragm major surgery was done and about one week in the hospital. Her esophagus was very inflamed from bring everything up for several days
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It appears that Kylie may have a digestive disturbance secondary to something she may have ingested or some other metabolic disease. For now follow these instructions:

Fast Kylie for 12-24 hrs which she is doing herself to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give her Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If the vomiting and lethargy have resolved, then wean her back onto regular food. If the vomiting persists especially during the fast, take Kylie to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns such as Kidney disease or other conditions.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****