Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog came from vet thur kenneled days. ate once maybe.

Customer Question

my dog came from vet thur kenneled for 4 days.
ate once maybe . does not want to eat or drink water. lays but breaths with labor. did want to walk thou outside. not very week but not energetic when walk because she usually pulls on leash
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear Marcie is not feeling well. Unfortunately a kennel situation can be stressful for a dog and as you likely already know GSD are very sensitive to their environment and get gi upset really very easily. I can give you some basic guidelines for her but if she is not showing improvement in the next 24 hours I would advise a veterinary exam and ensure there is nothing more serious going on with her.

- Begin Pepcid 20 mg (famotidine) every 12 hours for 3 days to help settle her stomach
- Mix white rice with boiled lean meat such as chicken which is high in fiber but also bland to the intestinal tract and enticing to the appetite as well in small more frequent meals about 30 minutes after the pepcid. No regular dog food please. You can add water to ensure that she is not becoming dehydrated but you also want to do water in moderation because large amounts of water will increase risk of vomiting
- If she is up to it, getting her up and walking. Walks are great in reducing gi spasms, nausea, and entice her appetite but if she is not up for it she likely is just tired from the events of the past few days and that is alright

Indications of cause for concern:
- Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration
- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it
- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable
- Swollen abdomen
- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest
- Temperature rectally <99 or >103.5
- No interest in food for 24+ hours
- No urination for 12+ hours
- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour
- Productive coughing
- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distress

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today and I truly hope Marcie is feeling better soon.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!