Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My boxerwas fine yesterday. Then last night he started just

Customer Question

My boxerwas fine yesterday. Then last night he started just not being himself. He didn't sleep much and then this morning he was scared of the stair and is lethargic. We are in the middle of selling our house and he stayed at my parents which he has done a lot before so that is normal for him. Please help not sure what could be wrong with him.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry no one has assisted you and Guinness yet today and he is not feeling well.

Is he interested in his food? Is he showing any signs of nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass, gurgling stomach), vomiting, diarrhea?

The concern is that the stress of the move and packing can cause gi changes but I want to hone in on the problem with a little more information if you are able. I will await any additional notes you can provide for me today...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is a grazer naturally. He did eat plain chicken earlier. He is barely drinking water. He is limping a little in his hind legs and I think he might have done something to it while jumping off the bed.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Poor guy, that would definitely explain his hesitations with the stairs and reduce appetite if he is in pain. I imagine you don't have any left over pain medications you can give him with a little more chicken?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has never taken any. Can I give human meds?
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I would be cautious without having a definitive diagnosis because it can make things worse if we are off track. Something like tramadol or ultram would be moderately safe but I would avoid nonsteroidals such as aspirin, tylenol, advil

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I don't have any of those so I will monitor him and see his vet tomorrow so we can get some meds for him.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

In the meanwhile rotating warm and cool compresses on the back and rear legs in 10 minute intervals and massage in a circular pattern up and down the back and legs as well both to increase circulation and healing but the cool helps numb and relieve pain.

Limiting activity as much as possible and if he has to endure steps or stairs to go outside perhaps a towel as a sling under his groin to support him and minimize further injury

Does this make sense and is there anything else I can assist with today?

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today...

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am going to be taking a dinner break soon but if there is anything else I can do for you both please don't hesitate to ask...