Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My 2 year golden lab is just laying around and not s usual

Customer Question

My 2 year golden lab is just laying around and not his usual energetic self. He seems wobbly when he gets up to walk. He is eating and going to the bathroom fine. His only problem that we know of is low thyroid which he takes soloxine twice a day for. What could be his problem
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry no one has assisted you and Kobe yet today and he is not feeling well.

First we need to determine if the wobbliness is weakness or pain related. As long as his gums are nice and pink and moist, he is not warm to the touch, abdomen is not swollen and is able to rest comfortably we can focus on possible pain related or neurologic changes. Often when pain or neurologically related they are hunched back, tail tucked, hesitating to go up and down steps or on/ off furniture. The fact that he is eating well and defecating normally leans me more towards this likelihood as well.

Ideal is to have your veterinarian evaluate your dog to definitively diagnose the problem and start on appropriate medication to control the discomfort if there is any. Until you are able to do this please restrict activity (which often they are already doing themselves but that means no steps/ stairs and assisting when going out to go potty) and rotating warm and cool compresses on the back in ten minute intervals to reduce pain and increase blood flow.

You can also do light circular massage up and down the back to stimulate blood flow if this is not too painful and will allow it.

To pick your dog up into the car or up/ down steps please use a towel in the groin to support him and minimize further injury.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with. I hope you are able to get him comfortable soon, truly.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Kobe. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman