Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is a toy poodle, he is 15. He has cushings diagnosed

Customer Question

Hello, my dog is a toy poodle, he is 15. He has cushings diagnosed about 6 months ago. He takes 30 mg. Vetryl daily. I work late nights. Just got home ,he went out li j e normal then he ran around happily. Niw he cant catch his breath, heactually moving his body and head from normal breathing. He has since laid down now for 30 min. He us breathing much faster than normal. What should i do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Any access to toxins?

Any pain if you press on his belly? Any where else?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His gums are normal looking, no pain, 120 breath as per min.he was breathing sl poo wer tillvhe awoke
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was breathing slower till he woke up
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Was it much slower then that? Closer to 30 bpm or still quicker?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 15 breaths per 10 sec, then he woke and started in again. About 20 breaths per sec
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Per 10 sec
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, thank you,

Now I have to say that Eddie's situation is quite concerning. A normal resting breathing rate for a dog should be less then 30 breaths in a minute. Therefore, his breathing is much too fast. Now the reason I asked about discomfort and gum color was to try to tease out whether he is in respiratory distress or distressed due to pain or another issue. Unfortunately, from what you have reported, he is not giving clues to which is the issue. Still, if he is breathing that fast even when trying to sleep, we need to tread with care. And in that case, I would strongly advise having him seen right away. This is because you will be limited in what you can safely do at home should he be struggling to get enough oxygen or is in pain. Therefore, we'd want him seen...yes, I am in the midst of typing a reply as you can see -Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

...so that we determine which issue is present before he fatigues and crashes on you. If it is his lungs, then the vet can put him on oxygen. If it is pain, then injectabl treatment for that can be started.

Overall, his signs are very serious and we want to be proactive here.

In this situation, it would be prudent to get your wee one to the emergency vet. To find your local ER veterinary clinic, you can check http://www.vetlocator.com/

www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What can they do for him?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

he needs oxygen and pain relief at the minimum. From there, it depends which issue is present to how they treat

Dr B.