Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Diarrhea from dogs

Customer Question

Diarrhea from dogs
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aidy ou sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Do you mean you have contracted diarrhea from your dogs? Or they have diarrhea?

If they have diarrhea, can you describe what it looks like?

How long have they had this?

Any vomiting, appetite loss, or weight loss?

Are their gums nice and pink (notwhite/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on their belly in turn, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could they have eaten anything they should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dog has been sick for about three days , hasn't ate in almost two days . Now it looks like possible blood in the diarrhea
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

My apologies that I didn't catch you reply before I had to be away to see my own patients.

Now based on the signs we are seeing, we do have a few concerns. Common causes that could cause diarrhea with appetite loss would include bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, and ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items).

Now if it has been 3 days, then we do need to tread with care as dehydration and weakness are real risks here. And I have to say that if you are now seeing blood, it'd be ideal to have him seen urgently. Especially if he is passing more then a few drops.

Otherwise, I will outline some supportive care you can try to at least help him until his vet can be reached. To start, if we have appetite loss (often related to nausea even without vomiting), then you can consider treating him with an antacid.There are a number that are available over the counter and pet friendly. Iwould advise only treating with one, but the ones I tend to use are:

*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet if he has a pre-existing condition or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. And I would note that if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once that has had time to absorb, you can consider starting him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish,cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that it will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset.

If he refuses this and isn't vomiting, then we'd want to consider syringe feeding. If you need to do this, then I would suggest using a calorie dense diet option like Hills AD,Royal Canin Recovery diet, or Clinicare. These are all nutrient rich, so a little goes a long way. Otherwise, in a pinch and for the short term, you can water down canned pate style puppy food to syringe feed.

Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and ensure he’s not becoming dehydrated, there area few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a"skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE(http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue for him (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Finally, as long as long as you have only seen a bit of blood in those stools,you can consider trying him with a pet safe anti-diarrheal. Any more then that, and we'd of course what him seen. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if the cause were infectious; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More [email protected]:[email protected]page1.aspx).This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores,and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the GI upset we are seeing. Therefore, in his case, we’d want to start supportive care now but need to tread with care if it has already been 3 days. And if you try these and he isn't settling within the next few hours, then we'd want to get his local vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti-vomiting medication, IV fluids, +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach, and get him back feeling like himself.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions,please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )