Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is throwing up foam every time she eats. Her poop is

Customer Question

My dog is throwing up white foam every time she eats. Her poop is soft. Her stomach does not feel bloated or hard. She throws up 5-6 times per day and this has been going on for 3 days.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

First, I am glad to see that she has no bloating or belly tensing. If she had, those would be signs that we needed her seen urgently. With those aside, we can consider supportive care for her to try and allay her GI upset. Now you are right to have her on a light diet, as this will be better tolerated by the stomach and easier to digest leading to less diarrhea and GI upset. That said, it sounds like before we use that we need to actually address her nausea. Now as long as she is keeping water down, you can try to address this at home. In regards ***** ***** so, you can try her with an antacid at this point. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. Ones we can use here include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Of course, if she cannot keep that (or water) down, then that would be our cue to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-nausea treatment from her vet.

Overall, if she is vomiting this severely and her stools are becoming loose, this does suggest a upper and lower GI targeting issue. Therefore, we'd need to tread with care and be wary of bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, dietary indiscretion, or ingestion of something harmful. As long as you are sure she hasn't eaten something dangerous, you can try the above at this stage. But if her signs linger or she is just to nauseous for oral treatment, then we'd want to consider a check with her vet so that injectable anti-vomiting treatment +/- antibiotics can be started to halt these signs for her.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alan Spires,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Alan Spires. How is everything going?
nekovet