Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

My 8 week old puppy jumped out of my arms ans fell on s head

Customer Question

Hi My 8 week old puppy jumped out of my arms ans fell on his head and back he is in the Er now he has fluid build up i. His lungs . Vet told us he ate a little and peed but seems out of it . I am freaking out i really want him to be ok what else can we do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help.

It sounds like there's 2 issues present here, at minimum: Head trauma leading to reduced mental status, and possible chest trauma leading to bruising of the lungs.

Oxygen therapy is an excellent start to treatment.

I would typically suggest intravenous fluids in order to maintain good circulation to the lungs and the brain. I would typically NOT recommend Lasix (furosemide) as a treatment to try to clear fluid from the lungs in this situation. That is generally only useful if heart problems caused the fluid buildup -- not what's going on in this case.

Mannitol is an intravenous medication that can reduce swelling in the brain. If Captain's mental status is not rapidly improving, then an injection of Mannitol may be worthwhile.

Steroids (cortisone) are controversial in cases of head trauma, but may also be worthwhile to try, if his condition is worsening instead of improving.

I'm sorry you're going through this right now, I know it's very difficult to see a little puppy having to go through this kind of treatment. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They told us he is alert and response barked few times but main issue is his breathing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just dont want loose him
I want to know how common is this when ouppies fall and doesnhe have a good chance
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.

The breathing can take several days to improve -- it is vital for him to remain in oxygen, and receiving IV fluids, for several days in many cases. Generally I expect at least 48 hours of treatment before we can consider going home, if things are going well.

The prognosis is difficult to assess in the first few hours. It can take 12 to 24 hours for lung damage to be at its worst, before we really know just how bad things will get, before they start to improve.

Generally, if there is enough financial ability to maintain treatment with oxygen and fluids for at least 48 hours, the chances are usually good for recovery. Without the financial ability to provide this level of care, sadly the chance of recovery and survival are less than 25%, in my estimation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Money is not the issue we took to the best ER we just want to make sure he ll be better soon. They can keep it as long as they want to help him. He was alert and recognized us last nit before we left the hospital. We saw the vet today and she said he is not getting worse but not getting better there is fluid in his lungs . He is under iv with sugar so he doesnt get weak . I am freaking out the ER dr said no news good news and that they dont know anything else . I just feel hopeless its been over 12 hours he shoiuld be showing some sign
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.

He's a very sweet looking little guy. It sounds like he is getting very good care, and that's all you can do right now. It's very much a wait-and-see type of condition, we can't speed the improvement up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank u we pray
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.

I will be hoping for all the best for Captain!

Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Captain. How is everything going?
Dr. Drew